Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Turkey tail toxin treatment

I'm posting over on permies.com about how to do you own mycoremediation.  One of the common species used in mycoremediation is Trametes versicolor, which can be a striking example of a fungus to come across in nature.  A standing dead tree, once infected by T. versicolor, can give rise to a huge column of fruiting bodies up and down the length of the trunk.  Like this:
These are a little small and pale to be T. versicolor, and after studying my field guide section on 'Polypores and other Shelf-like Fungi', I still haven't made a definitive identification.  Nevertheless, it probably does a good job metabolizing lignin, so it is good starting material for a mycoremediation experiment. 

Now I need to hack my way up to this trunk and scrape off of the fungus to make some inoculate.  More updates as this project progresses.

1 comment:

  1. Hi John,

    This is Tim Reisdorf. You made a comment on my Permies post of seasonally flooded soil and suggested that a bald cypress tree might fit the bill. I don't know, but I'm willing to try. If you'd like to send me a seed or two, I'm at
    27900 Quarry Rd.
    Lindstrom, MN 55045.

    Thank you kindly,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete